Mike & Nic discuss the 16 safety education courses that will be available during the breakout sessions at the 2018 Portage County Workplace Health & Safety Expo on June 22, 2018, 8am-3pm, at Maplewood Career Center in Ravenna, OH! Click here for more info about the expo!
Welcome to the 6th edition of our new monthly newsletter!
Our goal for the newsletter is to connect our members to relevant safety resources, all linked together in one convenient location every month. We hope you find this resource useful and valuable!
Please share with your colleagues!
2018 PORTAGE COUNTY WORKPLACE HEALTH & SAFETY EXPO:
*Registration is now open! Click here for the registration form.
- 16 safety related breakout courses! Based on 4 tracks (Construction, Industrial, Electrical, & Health) there’s something for everyone! Follow the link for more info on courses & speakers.
- Free health screenings by University Hospitals!
- Exhibit Hall filled with local vendors & prize drawings!
- Outdoor exhibits from Engines-LPG, County Fire Protection, and the Portage County LEPC!
- Safety Feud game by Swift First Aid!
- Qualifies for 1 Safety Council attendance/CEO credit for PCSC members or 1 external training credit for members of other councils!
- $10 off registration if paid for by June 8, 2018! Registration fee is $30 by 6/8, $40 after 6/8.
- Includes Lunch! Every attendee will receive a boxed lunch. Coffee, water, & breakfast pastries will be available in the morning.
- Click here to listen to the expo podcast announcement.
- PCSC Podcasts: Click here to listen on iTunes. Click here to listen on Google Play.
- May “Stand-Down” to Prevent Falls Challenge safety info & resource links.
- May’s Safety Update from the Ohio BWC Library. Each edition provides up-to-date news & safety information.
- Tornado Safety: May 2018 Safety & Hygiene Corner by Ohio BWC safety consultants.
- Lightning Safety When Working Outdoors. This is FactSheet provided by OSHA.
- Brad Hurtig stayed over last week to record a post-luncheon podcast with us! Click here to listen today!
- New attendance record! 143 people attended our Annual Safety Awards & CEO Day with keynote speaker Brad Hurtig, breaking our attendance record!
- May Stand-Down Challenge Deadline: Submit the information (Click here for the form) to your safety council by Monday, June 4, 2018.
- FY18 ends on June 30, 2018. All External Training Credit certificates of completion must be submitted by Friday, June 29, 2018, in order to be accepted. FY18 Annual Prepaid Lunch Packages will end on June 14, 2018.
- FY19 begins on July 1, 2018. Current members must renew by submitting payment July 31, 2018, in order to qualify for rebate. New members must enroll by submitting an Enrollment Form & payment by July 31, 2018.
- June 14, 2018 – How to Prevent Heat Related Injuries & Illnesses at Work, Bill Hocevar, Director of Risk and Compliance, The Great Lakes Construction Co. Sponsored by University Hospitals Portage Medical Center.
- June 22, 2018 – Portage County Workplace Health & Safety Expo.
- WE NEED EXPO VOLUNTEERS! Click here for more info.
- BWC Updates: These are the power points presented by BWC Representative Nic Coia at our monthly meetings.
- Monthly Meeting Power Points. We post them on our website after the presenters send them to us and give us permission to publish. If the speaker provides additional info, we’ll post it there as well.
- External Training Credit Opportunities: We post them on our blog as outside organizations send them to us. A maximum of 2 external training credits are allowed per program year to help members earn the 10 minimum attendance credits required by the rebate. Please Note: ETC certificates of completion must be submitted by June 30 every year in order to qualify.
- Rebate Participation Spreadsheet. Rebate eligible members can review how close they are to fulfilling the minimum rebate eligibility requirements by reviewing the Participation Spreadsheet which is typically updated on a monthly basis.
It’s time to renew again!
The new program year (FY19) begins on July 1, 2018. The deadline to enroll or renew to be eligible for the FY19 rebate is July 31, 2018.
- All previous Annual Prepaid Lunch Packages will end on our last monthly meeting of FY18 which is Thursday, June 14, 2018.
- Members who would like to purchase FY19 lunch packages should do so prior to the meeting on July 12, 2018.
- We have updated our FY19 monthly meeting lunch policy. See attached memo for more info.
Brought to you by the Ohio BWC Library…
Our keynote speaker Brad Hurtig stayed over with us to share his inspirational comeback story after a devestating workplace injury that changed his life! He gives us some key principles to stay safe at work and to “find a way” through any adversity! For more information about Brad, visit his website at www.bradhurtigsafety.com.
Ever consider enrolling your company in an Ohio Safety Council program? Here’s 5 reasons why you should! Click here to learn more or to find a local safety council near you! If you’re in the Portage County area, click to learn more about the Portage County Safety Council today!
Nic Coia interviews Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, for an in-depth conversation on fall protection! For more information about the Portage County Safety Council, please visit our website today!
What: In honor of OSHA’s “National Stand‐down to Prevent Falls” the BWC Canton/Cambridge Service Offices are hosting a Safety Council Challenge. We want to encourage every Safety Council member to perform safety training on preventing falls.
It’s easy. Training materials are linked below (or you can use your own) and all you need to do is:
- Perform the training to as many employees as possible (but 100% is not required to participate in this challenge)
- Document your attendance (keep it for your own records) and
- Submit the information (Click here for the form) to your safety council by Monday, June 4, 2018.
- When: The entire month of May
- Who: Every Profession – Industry, Healthcare, Construction, Service or any others
- Where: Your own facility or in the field at your jobsite
- Why: Falls are the number one reason for fatalities in Construction, but it doesn’t stop there. Every employer has a risk of employees slipping, tripping or falling. It may be the Ohio weather or the fact that all employees walk at some point during the work day. The risk is there, so the Safety Council challenge is for you to “stand‐down” and talk about it. Any employer can hold a stand‐down by taking a break to focus on “Fall Hazards” in your specific workplace and reinforcing the importance of “Fall Prevention”. It’s an opportunity for employers to have a conversation with employees about hazards, protective methods, and the company’s safety policies and goals. It can also be an opportunity for employees to talk to management about fall hazards they see.
The council with the highest member participation percentage will be presented with an award at a regular meeting!
Links to Training Materials & Resources
PCSC Podcasts Training Supplements (you can use these as tool box talks):
- Safety Talk: The ABC’s of Fall Protection. Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives us an overview of The ABC’s of Fall Protection! (8:08) This episode would make a great tool box talk!
- Safety Talk: Fall Protection Harness Inspections. Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives some tips on how to properly inspect fall Protection harnesses! (3:58) This episode would make a great meeting ice breaker or tool box talk!
- Safety Talk: Slips, Trips, & Falls. Nicholas Coia, Industrial Safety Consultant from the Ohio BWC presents on how to prevent slips, trips, & falls. (4:46) This episode would make a great meeting ice breaker or tool box talk!
PCSC Podcasts Interviews (ideal for a more in-depth safety conversation):
- Episode 29 – Fall Protection Interview. Nic Coia interviews Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, for an in-depth conversation on fall protection! (15:09)
- Episode 3 – How to Reduce the Risks of Slips, Trips, & Falls at Work. PCSC Manager Mike Thompson interviews BWC Industrial Safety Consultant Nicholas Coia on how to reduce the risks of slips, trips, & falls at work. (8:00)
Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives some tips on how to properly inspect fall Protection harnesses! This episode would make a great tool box talk! For more information about the Portage County Safety Council, please visit our website today!
Eric White, Construction Safety Consultant for the Ohio BWC, gives us an overview of The ABC’s of Fall Protection! This episode would make a great tool box talk! For more information about the Portage County Safety Council, please visit our website today!